Columbine Poets Presents the
National Federation Of State Poetry Societies, Inc
Manningham Trust Student Poetry Contest
Rules: 2021 annual competition
Columbine Poets of Colorado
Junior Division – Students in grades 6-8
Senior Division – Students in grades 9-12
Open to public, private & homeschool Colorado students, grades 6–12. One entry per student.
PRIZES in Each Division
1st PRIZE: $30 2nd PRIZE: $25 3rd PRIZE: $20
CONTEST RULES (Teachers please read and follow carefully.)
1. Submit 2 copies of one poem, single spaced no more than 35 lines including space lines on a single page.
2. Poem should have a title. Use only standard type font, 12 pt. (including title), no illustrations please.
3. On 1st copy only, in the upper left corner, type either Junior Division or Senior Division.
Under the division type student's name and address (include city, state and zip code) and student's phone number (with area code).
In the upper right corner, type the school’s name and address, the teacher’s name, and student's grade level.
4. At the bottom of the 1st copy only please type this statement of originality.“This poem is my original work and has not been copied in whole or part from another author’s work including poems posted on the Internet.” (Students must sign this statement or their poem will be disqualified.)
5. The 2nd copy must be Anonymous, only the poem with Junior or Senior Division in the upper left corner NO identification of student, school, or state.
6. Must be electronically submitted no later than January 11, 2021.
7. Email your entry as a PDF or ODF to: email@example.com 8. Teachers may send poems from two divisions in a single envelope, but please separate the Junior division from the Senior division into different stacks. Do Not staple stacks together.
9. Teachers, I would love to come to your school with some Columbine Poets via Zoom or in person if safe to share poetry with your students to help inspire their writing. Please email me at above email for all inquiries.
10. Winners lists will be available in March. No poems will be returned. Winners list will be posted on the website at columbinepoetsofcolorado.com after all winners have been notified.
Helpful hints for writing a high quality poem.
1. Be brave, dare to dream, visit your vulnerability, stir our emotions, surprise us. Write your passion, reveal your truth.
2. Is every word important? Cut unessential words. Show your idea by image and metaphor when possible. Try alliteration.
3. Read your poem aloud and listen for any awkward phrasing.
4. Have a friend, teacher or parent read your poem and respond to it. (Don't count on spell-checker to catch all spelling errors; proof-read carefully then have someone else proof-read it again.)
Poems will be forwarded to the National Manningham Contest to compete for additional prizes.
Send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org